Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 10 year old chi-pom has been taking tramadoln 1/4 tab for

Customer Question

my 10 year old chi-pom has been taking tramadoln 1/4 tab for pain and prednisone 1/4 tab for 4 days tonight he seems to be in pain if we try to pick him up he is panting and has tremmors or shivers should I be concerned as his vet wont be avaible until monday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a 10 year chi/pom about 16 lbs
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes a 10 year o0ld dog
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: none that I know of
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 10 year old Chi/Pom boy who is on Tramadol and Prednisone for pain, and who seems to still be in quite a bit of pain tonight despite these medications. His panting and tremors are likely related to his pain, but we also have to keep in mind that there may be something else going on here with your boy causing these symptoms. Given his age, this could be anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything he could have gotten in to), to even an internal organ or endocrine issue.

For tonight you are going to need to try and keep him as quiet and rested as possible. Encouraging him to have a good drink of water, and continue to give him his medications as originally prescribed - don't be tempted to try giving him extra. Over night, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If your boy can't settle, or if any of the above parameters aren't right, you will need to find a local ER vet or after hours vet in your town, or a nearby one, to get him checked before Monday. Hopefully he settles and sleeps this off however. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

HI again - hopefully your boy's parameters were all normal? How is he now?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with your boy overnight? Did he improve, or did you get him seen by your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

How is your Chi-Pom boy doing now?

Dr E