Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Runny poo and a very red hinny, Booboo 7yrs, no he has never

Customer Question

runny poo and a very red hinny
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hinny's name and age?
Customer: Booboo 7yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Booboo?
Customer: no he has never had this before
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible causes for Booboo's soft stool, including anything from a sudden change in diet, to an infectious issue, intestinal worms or even an internal organ issue. First and foremost, you really need to ensure that Booboo is completely up to date with his worming treatments. If you haven't done this for a while, be sure to get him treated with a reliable all wormer like Drontal or Milbemax.

If this diarrhea has continued and hasn't improved within the last few days, I do definitely think it would be worth getting a fecal sample off to your Vet. Here he or she can send this away for full analysis including a culture and fecal float to help rule out infectious causes such as salmonella, campylobacter, giardia, coccidia and intestinal worms.

For now you are best feeding Booboo something really bland. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and cooked white rice is ideal for this type of situation and you can start that from the morning. If the diarrhea is the same consistency this morning as it was on day one, I would recommend getting a fresh stool sample along to your Vet tomorrow if they are open and if you can. Do your best to get a fresh sample in to an icecream container or something similar and take this into your Vet if there hasn't been much improvement.

Please also make sure that Booboo is drinking plenty of water. All of this diarrhea could quickly make him dehydrated if he doesn't drink sufficient water. If he isn't keen on drinking, you could even try a chicken broth. To make this, just boil up some fresh chicken, scoop off the solids once cooked, and feed him the luke warm soup that remains. You can also very carefully keep Booboos' backside clean by dabbing it gently with a moistened soft flannel. If the skin around his anus is very red, a very small amount of neosporin could help - however don't apply this to the actual sphincter itself!

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hopefully my message came through ok? Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Dr E

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He has had all shots and his diet has not changed in years. He eats Blue to stay slim. He has never been sick before
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Good to hear he is up to date with his vaccinations. It is unlikely diet related, but as this is possibly infectious, a bland diet for 2 - 3 days may help to settle his stomach. Hopefully you also have him up to date with his deworming treatments and be sure to use a reliable treatment like Drontal or Milbemax for this. If things to improve for him in the next day or two, then you will need to get that fresh fecal sample to your local vet so they can rule out nasty infectious causes like Salmonella, Campylobacter or a protozoal cause.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

How is Booboo doing now? Did his symptoms improve yet, or have you take him along to your local vet to have him checked over?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment,

Dr E