Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog will not stop pooping in the house. She is potty

Customer Question

Hi, my dog will not stop pooping in the house. She is potty trained. But it is constant poop and liquid. What can be wrong?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy and 2.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: She eats human food as her diet for about 4 months now.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is there blood in the feces? What types of human food is she eating now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is blood, but not in every stool. Mostly the ones that she is really trying to get out have blood. She eats eggs, cooked turkey, bananas, berries and apples for food every day.

Was there a specific reason she was placed on human food? Is he on heartworm prevention? It sounds like she is having intestinal upset for some reason. This could be due to intestinal parasites or she could be coming sensitive to the food that she is receiving now. So her feces may need to be tested to rule out any intestinal parasites. If she is clear of those then you may need to adjust her diet to rule that out. She also may need to be placed on anti-diarrheal medication such as an antibiotic and a probiotic since you are seeing blood in her feces. She may also need to be placed on a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice until the diarrhea goes away as well

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has been on triheart for 6 months now. I can switch to chicken and rice no problem if that's going to help.

Okay the triheart takes care of most of the intestinal parasites. There are other parasites that dogs can get that the triheart doesn't treat so you may want to have her fecal sample checked out anyway. But it may likely be a sensitivity to something she is eating. The change to chicken and rice can help but if it has been going on for some time she still may need additional medications to help with the inflammation that is going on with the intestines.