Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has been drinking a lot and throwing up her food and

Customer Question

My dog has been drinking a lot and throwing up her food and sometimes her water. Her breathing sounds like she may have a cold. Is there anything I can give her from home? She is 8 years old and weighs about 30 pounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: We tried feeding her dog food but she never did like it. We feed her table food. Her favorite is chicken, without the skin and beef.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sissy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sissy?
Customer: She has gained a lot of weight and she is not as active lately.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is it fair to say that she is drinking more than usual?

4- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. about 1 month
.2 No
3.yes
4 about 25-30 pounds

1- How often is she vomited?

2- How long since the last time she vomited?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2 times this morning
2 hours

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. The vomiting is likely a consequence of the excess water intake and whatever is causing her to drink more. You see, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results; highly recommend having her checked as soon as you can for the above test. In the meantime, this si what you can do for the vomiting:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, she can continue to have water but don't let her drink excessively. Leave her without food for 6-8 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter