Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog seem to have truble to chew has not eatting in 4 days

my dog seem to have truble to chew has not eatting in 4 days but can drink and when i put can dog food with soup broth he can eat it he ate a treat but crews and crewa
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: loerider
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about loerider?
Customer: orry lowrider

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about your dog. I do have a few questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How old is he?

2. Is he currently taking any medication?

3. Are you mixing the canned food with soup broth in a blender so he can basically "drink" his meals?

4. What does he do if you try to open his mouth?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
12 years old basethound and no not on any meds and wont let me open his mouth and no not in blender by hand
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he did eat a dog treat today but keeps chewing like it is in his teeth or something for a long time

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information.

Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be is acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.

I always worry when a dog this age behaves as you've described and hasn't eaten for four days since these older dogs can deteriorate pretty quickly.

As to possible causes for his behavior, unfortunately, there are number of possibilities:

1. He could have an infection or abscess in this mouth or a bad tooth. Even if you were able to open his mouth, it may not be immediately obvious if there's a problem of not. Sometimes we need to sedate these patients so that a thorough physical examination of the area can be done. Even dental x-rays may be suggested if a tooth root issue is suspected.

2. He could have a systemic disease such as problems with his kidneys or liver. Blood work should help narrow down the list of possibilities.

3. He might be running a fever. If you have a thermometer and can double check it, normal is between 100 and 102.5.

Of course, we'd have to wonder why his temperature is elevated with viruses, bacterial infections, autoimmune disease and even cancer, unfortunately, would have to be on the list.

It sounds as if he needs to see your vet but one way to get more nutrition into him would be what I asked you about: since he's drinking, mix canned food in a blender with pedialyte (which will provide electrolytes) until it's the consistency of soup. If he won't drink it on his own, you can dribble it into the side of his mouth where there's a gap with a small turkey baster or syringe.

I doubt that you'd be able to get any medication into him but Aspirin may help with any inflammation that might be present although I always recommend that it be given with food....obviously this may be difficult since he's not eating. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day.....as long as he's not vomiting nor currently taking any other nsaid or steroid medication.

I hope this helps to provide possible explanations for his behavior but it sounds as if a vet visit would be wise tomorrow if not one at an ER hospital today. Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you he seems like he wants to eat but cant drinks well and a lot

You're more than welcome.

Since he seems like he wants to eat, then I agree with you that this may be a problem in his mouth...a more localized issue than a systemic disease which is a better problem for him to have if the problem can be identified and corrected, of course.

Deb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
again thank you

My pleasure.

I'll be wishing you the best that this is a relatively "simple" problem. Regards, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well we did go to my vet and sad to say that we had to put him down nothing could be done for him and thanks again

I'm so sorry to hear this; you must be absolutely heartbroken:(

There was always the possibility, of course, that something fairly serious was going on with him but I was so hoping that this wasn't the case.

I know that putting him to sleep wasn't an easy decision but it sounds as if it was the right one to make, under the circumstances.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Kindest regards, Deb