Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience
25745582

I'm not sure, but one of my dogs may have eaten some mouse

Customer Question

I'm not sure, but one of my dogs may have eaten some mouse poison containing diphacinone. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what may ate?
Customer: Well, one of them got into a storage area of our garage where we had one of those bait boxes set up. They took it outside and chewed it up. The box is open now and we can't see the poison block, but it is dark outside. We tried looking with flashlights outside but couldn't see anything. We have our dogs locked up in the garage now, but I'm not sure if I should call the vet on the chance that one of them might have eaten it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the?
Customer: No.
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It said my estimate wait time would be less than 8 more minutes - that was 20 minutes ago. I'm just wondering how much longer the wait will be.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill and I'd be happy to help. I'm sorry to hear about this stressful event with your dogs. It sounds like you're not sure if your dogs may or may not have eaten the rodent bait...am I understanding this correctly? Also, do you have hydrogen peroxide 3% on hand?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that's right.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

About how much does each dog weigh, and about how long ago might they have ingested the bait?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Approximately 1 hour ago.One is about 75lbs and the other is 55-60lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

Great, thanks for the info. The good news is this is a very manageable potential exposure. I would recommend giving each of them a tablespoon or two of 3% hydrogen peroxide to make them vomit. This can be repeated once if they don't vomit within 15 minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

When they do vomit, you'll want to grab a pair of gloves and look closely at what they've vomited up. Most of these baits are very brightly colored, so check the block you have and then look in the vomit to see if you see any brightly colored material. If the ingestion was within the last hour or so, you should see it in the vomit if they did in fact eat any.

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

If there's no bait in the vomit, they'll likely be fine. If you do see some, then at least most of it will be out. Diphacinone is an anticoagulant that take a couple of days to start causing issues, and the toxicity can be fixed by supplementing vitamin K. So if either of them did ingest any of the bait, you have a couple days to get them into your regular veterinarian to get a vitamin K prescription. Generally this is given by mouth for 30 days.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

Happy to help! Please let me know if I can assist further. Hope things go well!

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

I hope things are going well with your pups. Please remember to rate my assistance as I do not get credit for helping you unless you complete this rating. If you still have questions, please let me know so I can assist further. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jill