How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28307
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate. she drinks a lot of water, but she

Customer Question

my dog ate white chocolate. she drinks a lot of water, but she vomiting. is that good or bad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: shadow is her name and she is 11 months old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about name?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My dog ate white chocolate. She drinks alot of water. She vomiting is that good or bad.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The white chocolate is milk chocolate and this takes a large amount ingested for chocolate toxicity...the vomiting is most likely due to the large amount of sugar ingested. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Shadow for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If she is feeling better, then wean her back to her regular food. If she ingested a large mount of the chocolate, there could be chocolate toxicity and this will require veterinary attention right away. This can be fatal. If Shadow weighs 25 pounds, she would have to ingest 10 ounces of the chocolate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanx so much for your quick reply.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome...I hope Shadow will be ok!

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta