Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

Left ear is draining discharge, golden retriever, Kiwi

Customer Question

left ear is draining green discharge
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: golden retriever
JA: OK. What is the golden retriever's name and age?
Customer: Kiwi female 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Kiwi?
Customer: no apparent fever, no vomiting, voiding and stooling normal, appetite normal, maybe less energetic
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Kiwi's ear. How long has it been having this discharge?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

This could be an infection. The best way to tell is to look at some of the discharge under a microscope, and to look into the ear canal with an otoscope and see if the ear drum is intact.

She may need antibiotics, or other prescription medication.

Until you can get her to a veterinarian to be checked, you can clean the ear with water/vinegar solution. Pour some into the ear, massage the ear for 30 seconds or longer, then let her shake. Then dry the ear off, removing any discharge expelled from the ear by her shaking.

If the ear looks more red than the other ear, you can apply a little Cortaid or Cortizone 10 or other cortisone containing ointment to the inside of the ear, but not down into the ear canal.

Let me know if this helps, and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?