Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

She is completely unresponsive she's alive...but limp and

Customer Question
cold had food and water JA...
she is completely unresponsive she's alive...but limp and cold had food and water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: rabbit
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound she's been in her cage and it's not been raining or windy. she's sheltered. other rabbit is fine
JA: What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: orchid, she's about 8months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about orchid?
Customer: like she's paralysed almost if i push her hind feet up she'll weakly kick out...but that's all completely limp
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Veterinary
11/2/2016
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she been like this?

Any access to toxins or chance of injury/trauma?

Any appetite loss or has she stopped producing stools prior to this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She went to vet and has made it through the night. The emergency vet I saw suspected spinal injury only, but still odd that her entire body is affected. She has not improved over night, but has a healthy appetite. Some one on a bunny page suggested floppy rabbit syndrome. She got antired inflammatory and antibiotics at vet but as that saw no improvement I'm inclined to think not a spinal injury as a complete break so far up her body ashop to render her totally paralyzed would very likely kill her and anot injury would have shown some improvement with antime inflammatory
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was not sick at all prior to this. She could have jumped around and hurt herself and she has hay bedding I got on sale...my horses have no problem with it and it's just plain grass...other bunny has it and is fine.

Hello again,

I am very glad to hear that she was seen, though hopefully it was just an injury to the spine (causing inflammation only - like a blood clot) and not a spinal fracture causing paralysis (which sounds less likely if she had some movement in her back legs). Though I'd note it isn't very odd that she was so fully affected. This is because the injury likely cause generalized shock and that can trigger all the signs you reported. So, its not unexpected if there has been a trauma triggering this.

Otherwise, Floppy Rabbit Syndrome would be a concern but this is just a term to described the signs of collapse and weakness you are seeing instead of being a diagnosis.So, that can be what we are seeing here but we have to appreciate that there a range of causes. Further to trauma (which will need time for the anti-inflammatories to work), we can see this with toxin, secondary to severe metabolic disease or infections, and E. cuniculi. And that last is a base that appears not to have been covered by their treatment, so do make sure they put Orchid on Panacur (Fenbendazole) for that. Especially since that is a prime concern with these signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian