Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Is Metrogyl used to treat urinary tract infections in femal

Customer Question

Is Metrogyl used to treat urinary tract infections in femal dogs?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Metrogyl (metronidazole) is an antibiotic that usually is used for GI infections as opposed to urinary tract based ones. It can be used for this but we'd only tend to do so if we had a very resistant bacterial infection that culture/sensitivity testing told us was sensitive to this drug. So, it can be used but isn't usually a very effective antibiotic for bladder infections and therefore isn't our first choice when doing so.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )