Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

In the past 6 hours, our golden retriever has vomitted 6

Customer Question
times. Not small amounts...
In the past 6 hours, our golden retriever has vomitted 6 times. Not small amounts. He last ate at approximately 5:30 p.m. last night. Otherwise, he is acting normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the golden retriever will be able to digest that. What is the golden retriever's name and age?
Customer: Palmer, he is 14 months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Palmer?
Customer: No He a very active, normal, well behaved pup.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Veterinary
10/29/2016
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wat is he bringing up? Good particles. It's very mucoussy
Can he keep any water down? YesAre his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky? YesIf you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain? NoCould he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)? No

Thank you,

Now hopefully Palmer's gums are lovely pink be and moist as they should. If that is the case and we can exclude harmful ingestions, then we'd need to consider that this nausea and gut upset is due to a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, since he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Since dehydration is a for Palmer, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gums are definitely normal, pink and moist. We will try the anti nausea medication in hopes that will work to settle his tummy. Thank you so much for your help.

Great!!

I am glad they are as they should be and in that case, we can try the above for wee Palmer.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since your last post, I've offered Palmer additional water and he vomited twice, mostly water.

Hi again,

In that case, we need to rest his stomach for a few hours (just offer sips of water or ice cubes hourly) and then can try an antacid to soothe this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok! Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian