Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Im a groomer and i need information regarding hip dysplasia.

Customer Question
Hi im a groomer and...
Hi im a groomer and i need information regarding hip dysplasia. I have been grooming a 6 year old shihzu for the past 4 years , they are regular customers and the dog is very difficult to do specillay the nails and ears to the point that most of the time i dont clip or clean the ears. On thursday since the nails were very long i decided to clip them, i hold her from her rib area and grab the front nails to clip them. She doesnt like it but im able to clip them but i didnt clip the back legs at all sunce its was very stressfull enough with the front. After that she started limping one of the back legs. When the owner came i told him she was limping and explain the event. He knows shes very difficult and we left it at that. But the next day he called me that the limping didnt stop and took the dog yesturday to the vet...in conclusion is a hip dyspasia and they did surgery on her and all cost we have to pay it. My question is to what point are we held responsible for the hip dysplasia? Could it had been her jumping constantly on the cage and in the bathtub that could have also contributed to this? Im in total shock. Her been difficult i try my best. I didnt even pull the back legs or clip them... please inform me if i did something wrong and also to prevent this in the future.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Veterinary
9/25/2016
Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry that you have been blamed for Gucci's problem. Hips dysplasia is arthritis in her hips that has been present for quite some time. Most often, this is genetic and not common in this breed but possible. The things that you did may have aggravated this arthritis but there was no way for you to know that Gucci had this problem. This was not your fault because this condition was already present and this limping could have shown at home when Gucci jumped on something or just moved the wrong way.

I find it odd that you are blamed for this....if anything, this incident allowed the owner to find out that Gucci was suffering from this and because of this, they were able to treat Gucci and ease her discomfort. Please do not blame yourself...this condition was present and you did not know.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so very much... im in tears because i cant believe this happened and i feel bad about all this and my boss. Im going tomorrow to the customers vet. In what way i can get thru the owner to understand that its not my fault. He just wants me to pay for all the surgery

That is crazy to blame you since the condition has probably been present for years. Anything that is done during the grooming will not harm any normal dog that does not have a preexisting condition. The fact that you had no idea that Gucci was suffering form this and have some how aggravated this already present condition would only be your fault if you knew that Gucci had this condition. Tell the vet that you did not know so there was no way for you to be able to know to be more cautious. You were not at fault for this condition....it was already there and I can bet that the owners had already known in some way since Gucci probably did have intermittent lameness that cleared so they did not follow through. The vet should empathize with you and help smooth this over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for this information it will be valuable for me tomorrow w. Have a great day. :)

Good luck tomorrow...perhaps print this exchange out and take this with you. Please let me know what happens. If this were my dog, I would NEVER blame you.....this was already present and not CAUSED by you....the woners should be happy that this was found early so they can ease Gucci's suffering.

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian