Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

MY HAMPSTER, RACER, HAS A BIG SORE ON HIM BEHIND. HE IS

Customer Question

MY HAMPSTER, RACER, HAS A BIG SORE ON HIM BEHIND. HE IS LOSING WEIGTH AND WHEN HE FALL OVER HE CAN'T TURN BACK OVER. WHAT CAN I DO?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has he had these signs?

Does he have any diarrhea?

Is he eating less?

Can you take a photo of this sore to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HE HAS HAD IS SORE ABOUT A MONTH.
NO HE DOES NOT HAVE DIARRHEA.
I DON'T THINK SO.
I CAN NOT TAKE A PICTURE.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I do need to warn you that you cannot use Neosporin in this species. Hamsters have very sensitive gut bacteria that they depend very heavily on and if we use topical antibiotics that will then ingest when grooming, we can cause serious damage to those bacterial and trigger a fatal diarrhea. So you are very lucky that he hasn’t had any issue with this yet, but we’d need to hold off on topical treatments (which don’t sound to be working anyway) and plan to have his local vet start oral antibiotics.

Otherwise, in the meantime, we can just salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water the lesion 2-3 times daily. If there is pus or odor, then oral/systemic antibiotics from your vet would be indicated. As well, since this looks sore and this species is notoriously stoic, we’d want the vet to also dispense hamster safe pain relief.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** weight loss and weakness you noted, I suspect this is secondary to a decline in appetite. Often appetite decline will lead to both of these signs. In that case, you will need to keep a close eye on what he eats and drinks. If he is taking less of either, then you will need to syringe feed him. There are OTC critical care diets that can be used for hamsters that you can get from your vet but in a pinch you can offer veggie baby food with his pelleted diet crushed into it. That way we can get more energy into him so he can better control himself, stop the weight loss, and give his body some resources to start healing this wound.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Peggy Dailey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Racer. How is everything going?

Dr. B.