Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I was supposed to pour 4 drops of burrows solution in my

Customer Question
dogs ear and I unfortunately...
I was supposed to pour 4 drops of burrows solution in my dogs ear and I unfortunately put estimated 20 plus drops plus all over his out ear and coat. I am very worried that I have damaged his ear etc. What if anything should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Veterinary
8/18/2016
Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply which you will be able to read here sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

Alternatively we also have the option to talk things over by telephone, I will be very pleased to call you back within the next few minutes and discuss your dog's case with you in depth if this is more convenient for you. Please let me know if you would like to arrange the call. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No phone call needed, just would like to know the answer

Hello again

I have worked out an initial reply for you below, please read it though and feel free to ask for any clarification, I am very glad to chat back and forth until you are happy with my answer.

1. Burow's solution is a solution of aluminium actetate, this product is very safe, I would doubt very much that what you describe will affect your dog adversely in any way, all you need do is to wash the outer ear and the area of coat where it was applied with water. Your dog should be just fine ...

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just realized that I didn't explain myself properly, I meant to say 20 plus drops in his ear and another 20 on his outer ear, I am very concerned about his inner ear with the 20 drops instead of 4

Hello again John,

No problem, glad to talk this over with you further ...

Again I would not be too concerned about the extra amount in your dog's ear canal but as a precaution you may want to gently flush out your dog's ear canals with luke warm water.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't mean to be impatient but I am worried

No problem, I fully understand your concerns, did you get my last answer OK?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, but we were told that you should never get water in there ears? Sorry to question you on this but wouldn't this be a contradiction

No this should be fine, in this case the luke warm water is just being used to flush out the excess aluminium actetate solution, this will not do any warm whatsoever and you can go back to the four drops of Burow's solution tomorrow.

Where I am cleaning out dog's ears under sedation I often flush them out with lukewarm water to remove any debris prior to instilling antibiotic drops.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he seems fine, he is starting to sleep on the same side, if there was something wrong, how would we know? Thanks

Well the danger would be that the Burow's solution would cause irritation to the delicate lining of the ear canal. If this was happening you would normally see that the dog was scratching at his ears and other general signs of ear discomfort such as holding his head to one side.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would be the remedy for all that? If he is showing all those symptoms, should I take him in on an emergency call out to be safe, or should I wait until regular hours? Thanks

If he is settling down then that is very encouraging, and as long as you have flushed the excess Burow's solution out of his ear canals then I really would not anticipate any adverse side effects, however if odd symptoms do set in then your safest option would always be to see an ER vet without delay to prevent any further ear damage.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, but my wife doesn't want to flush out his ear, so that being said, he is sleeping, so I am thinking, monitor him through the night and go from there. How does that sound? Thank you

I doubt very much if he is in any danger and the flushing out of the ears was just a precaution so things should be fine. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so you can always get back to me if necessary.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again John,

I am just checking back in to see how Bear is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Burow's solution ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.