Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Have two cats that get over the back of my timidist cat and

Customer Question
bite his neck how can...
Have two cats that get over the back of my timidist cat and bite his neck how can I stop this? I have another cat one that's older and the largest and he's a bully to the same timid anxiety filled sweet cat of mine. I took that big one and one of the other cats in and hate to have to get rid of them because they had been abandoned and I'd been feeding with the outdoor cats for awhile before I brought in. Please help me thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/9/2016
Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 1 year ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

What are the ages, sexes and names of your cats?
are they all neutered?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The one who has the most problems is 7 yrs old, he is Muskrat. and I had both of them my whole life. The other one is 6 yrs. old,

Are they all neutered males?

Tell me exactly what they do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Those two are neutered males and are related and been together all their life happens a lot and a lot of verbalizing. A.j. the victim is full if anxiety and scared a lot and now I understand why. The female not sure that does it to another male that's neutered( those two I took in after they fed with the feral cats for about a month. She's little and he's big but doesn't do it often.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Muskrat is the abuser and a.j. the victim. Bella is a tiny female and tux is 23 pounds and a fixed male( victim)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They get over the back of them straddled like and bite the neck
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Muskrat is very verbal before and during
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh and muskrat like goes back from one side of his back feet to the other side like changing feet a little

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Dear Moni,

Bless you for rescuing!

Muskrat is trying to dominate Bella. Most likely because she has weak energy so he does not respect her.

This is the way cats act when they are first introduced.They have a specific language they use to communicate with each other.

You do not need a behaviorist for cats. They are really quite easy to understand.

They do not rationalize, nor are they capable of in depth thought or reasoning.

Everything they do is basic, logical (to them) and makes perfect sense.

In a cat hierarchy a strong kitty will always try to take over and assume the head cat position. In addition, that is always subject to changes if cat one senses weakness in cat two. Cats DO work things out in their own way and they could care less what humans (or behaviorists) think. They only respond to the energy of another animal be it feline, canine or human.

If Bella acts scared and like prey Muskrat takes advantage and tries to bully her.

Your reaction is important because YOU are the final authority.

Cats do not follow a pack leader the way dogs do but they do sense their human parents energy and respond accordingly - so if you are nervous, they will be nervous. If you are stressed, they are stressed as well.

Sit down with a pillow. If Muskrat tries to bully Bella say NO! and gently push him back with the pillow.

You MUST be consistent! If you do it every single time he will soon understand his behavior will not be tolerated and go off to do something else. BUT anytime he approaches her nicely he gets an immediate food treat. That way he sees "good" behavior is instantly rewarded. When Bella sees Muskrat stopped she will gain confidence and no longer be afraid.

Then feed them side by side so she sees good things can happen when he is there.

Please let me know how things are going.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge

Kind regards,

Terri

Hi Moni Raiff,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It usually always happens at night when he knows I'm not around like right after I head to bed but they are very verbal and I immediately when I catch him stop him and tell him no and that's bad and I've done that for a long time. So your answer hasn't helped and I always praise him when he's nice to him and did what you said but this hasn't stopped or made anything better. I just don't know how to stop him when he does it at night, my poor little a.j. ( I knew it was a dominance thing but can't get it stopped and his can I when it happens or at least starts to when I'm out of the room and other times I know its happened but I must have been asleep. So I guess this answer hasn't helped at all. Thanks anyways

Can you try sitting down with a pillow a few times a day so you can set up a situation where he can try to dominate her so you can stop him? If you set up sessions where you can stop him during the day he will get used to it and leave her alone at night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He does it occasionally during the day and I always stop him and tell him no, no and he's being bad and he knows I'm not happy but it hasn't changed anything and I've done that since it started. So any other suggestions or will I have to get in home help to solve this. That answer won't change this

Would you consider a feliway collar to calm him down?

http://www.amazon.com/GOODbehavior-Pheromone-Calming-Collar-Cat/dp/B0026JAKWG

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think that collar will stop this he has traumatized his cousin to the point he has to stay on top of the table all day and his in a corner of a room at night all alone just to stay away from him.

I would certainly try it. BUT you must set up situations where you can push him away with the pillow so the cousin sees him being stopped.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When its day to.e he makes sure he's in the hall or another room of house away from me when he does it and its only cause I hear a.j. squeel that I rush to stop him so what can I do he never does it in front if me

I have an idea.

Can you try putting the bully in a separate room at night so the victim can walk around without fear?

Do this for a few days till victim gains confidence. THEN let bully out while you are there to push him back with a pillow if he tries to bully victim.

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert