Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

WE JUST FOUND A KITTY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD -- IT IS

Customer Question

WE JUST FOUND A KITTY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD -- IT IS 11PM EST -- AND UNMOVING. I STOPPED THE CAR TO PICK HER UP -- NO OUTWARD SIGNS OF INJURY OR BLEEDING BUT APPEARED LETHARGIC & IMMOBILE. HEART WAS BEATING & EYES OPEN. PUT HER IN CAR CAREFULLY, EXAMINED HER FOR INJURIES -- NO OUTWARD SIGNS, NO BLEEDING AND ALL PAWS, ETC., INTACT. I AM UNAWARE OF VETERINARIANS OPEN AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT, BUT CAN BRING HER TO A VET IN THE MORNING. WILL THIS BE OK TO WAIT UNTIL DAYBREAK & SHOULD I GIVE HER WATER, ETC? WHAT ADVICE??
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding the young cat your found in the middle of the road. Good on you for saving this little girl. I am typing up a response now and will have this with you in a minute or two.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Given you found this little one in the middle of the road, even though you can't see any obvious signs of injury or bleeding, there is still a very high chance she has been hit by a car. As such - this would often cause internal organ injuries and she may have a spinal issue if she isn't moving much, or internal bleeding. As such, if you can get her to a local ER vet clinic now, that would be the best way forward. If you need help finding your local ER or after hours vet, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.

If you can't get her seen right away, then for now please keep an eye on herr girl's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful this little one doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with this kitty and do get her seen now if you can. Please let me know if you need help finding your local ER vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about N/A. How is everything going?

Pet Doc