Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My son's guinea pig has a small round cut/sore on his face,

Customer Question

My son's guinea pig has a small round cut/sore on his face, that may ringworm related. Is there something that I can try over the counter before incurring a huge vet bill?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. You can use a topical medication if this is ringworm. Miconazole is the most commonly used. If that is not clearing it up, then he'll likely need to go on a systemic anti-fungal like Ketoconazole or Griseofulvin. Most ringworm cases in small animals require topical and systemic treatment to fully resolve it. The cost of meds is low, but the fungal culture does have some expense associated with sending it out to the lab. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?