Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

I have a west ghland terrier 14 and half years old it seems

Customer Question

Hi I have a west highland terrier 14 and half years old it seems as if he has a cold very blocked up and snotty breath smells very bad and not breathing great either have cleaned round mouth and nose this morning thinking vets visit needed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the terrier?
Customer: also not related but his does suffer from very bad skin he has been licking his paw and matted the fur I have also bathed the paw and cut away the fur this morning i do think it is skin related
JA: Our top Veterinarian is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Veterinarian in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Veterinarian until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Westie's nose and breathing. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has he been like this?

The bad smell from his breath could be loose or infected teeth and gums. The roots of the large back teeth go up into the sinuses in the nose, and can cause infection there. If he were mine, I would take a good look in his mouth at all his teeth, especially the back ones. Antibiotics may help, but if he is has loose or infected teeth, the problem will continue until the infected teeth fall out or are extracted.

This breed often has skin disease from allergies. It is possible that this problem is also related to allergies, but at his age I would suspect a tooth problem.

Does he have have bleeding from his nose? I hope not, as that can be a sign of a tumor in his nose, especially if the bleeding is from only one nostril.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Was this helpful? Do you have any other questions for me?