Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat has an abdominal mass and is losing weight and has

Customer Question

My cat has an abdominal mass and is losing weight and has lost his appetite. Ultrasound done, suspicious for GI lymphoma. Trying prednisone 10mg daily, but he is getting worse after 6 days of this, while we wait for chlorambucil Rx. My vet did not think surgery to remove the mass would improve his survival chances, but that means no biopsy. I am afraid he could have high grade lymphoma and should be on different treatment than what we are doing for presumed low grade. He is somewhere between 10 and 15 years old - he came to us 5 years ago as a stray, very ill with stomatitis, and then uveitis, but he has done well after total teeth extraction and prednisolone eye drops. Now this. I don't want to make him suffer a futile treatment, but I do want to give him a chance. Ideas? Thank you!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  MsAM replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in cancer in pets. I'm sorry that you and your cat are dealing with this diagnosis. I want to be clear about something. Am I correct that you have seen only your local vet so far? Thank you.