Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My moms dog takes torbuteral 1-2 pills at night cough. I was…

Customer Question
My moms dog takes...

My moms dog takes torbuteral 1-2 pills at night for chronic cough. I was giving Benadryl to her other dog for itching. Not sure if I gave it to the right dog. Therefore I would have given the dog that took the torbuteral a 32 mg of benedryl and he weighs about 18 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I gave dog 18 lbs 2 torbuteral for his cough. May have also accidentally given him benedryl 32 mg which I was giving to another dog. I'm not sure which dog a gave the benedryl. Just checking to see if this could harm him

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Veterinary
2/26/2016
Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

It's likely to be additive to the 18 lb dog's sedation from the butorphanol but 32 mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is within the dosing guideline of 1-2 mg/lb not to exceed a maximum of dose of 50 mg at any one time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.