Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My Chichawa ate my BPI pre workout from GNC. Will she be Ok?

Customer Question
My Chichawa ate my...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Veterinary
1/25/2016
Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

There are 3 BPI "pre-workout" products listed on the GNC site. Which of those and how much of it did Twinkie ingest, please?

The blue berry lemon and she ate the serving size packet that has 2 servings in it. There was a title left.
She ate it about an hour ago, she is very active right now

Thank you. I need you to look at the label of your product and see if caffeine is on it. If not, there's nothing in the product that would be harmful to Twinkie but high levels of the vitamin B complex can agitate her. Please let me know.

It says it may contain at much as caffeine as 2 cups of coffee.
It says caffeine (as caffeine anhydrous)

Ugh. That's equivalent to ~ 190 mg of caffeine/serving. Dogs become mildly agitated at a dose of 9 mg/lb. How much does Twinkie weigh, please?

3 lbs

Oh dear. The median lethal dose for caffeine in dogs is 65 mg/lb or ~200 mg for Twinkie. Two servings contain 380 mg of caffeine. I would bring Twinkie to a veterinary ER to be decontaminated by emesis and activated charcoal administration. Agitation is addressed with benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

The animal hospital is a couple of hours away, is there anything we can do at home?
To rinse her out?

I believe it's too late to expect much of the caffeine to be removed by emesis but you can dose her with one measuring teaspoon (5 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide between her cheek teeth and cheek by means of an eyedropper. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, you should dose her again. Once she has stopped vomiting, activated charcoal should be given at a dose on the product label. Activated charcoal (the "universal antidote") is available in your local pharmacy. I'm concerned that there's little you could do if she became agitated to the point of tremoring or seizing.

I have to leave my computer for the night. Please consider the long drive. My best to Twinkie!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Twinkie. How is everything going?