Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Type your question here.our dog is disoriented dehydrated…

Customer Question
Type your question here.our dog...
Type your question here.our dog is disoriented dehydrated can't support itself when it has a bowel movement and is 11 years old. Should we put her down.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Veterinary
1/23/2016
Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Has she been seen by a veterinarian for this current problem?

She was attacked and had puncture wounds to her rear end 18 months ago. She has had a hard time since then keeping any weight on. Recently 2 months she gets disoriented, paces back and forth and has a hard time holding herself up when she goes #2. Drinks a lot of water and seems to periodically throw up. Today I found her pretty lifeless and brought her to emergency. They have her on fluids and want to do work ups that total 1200.00... She has been struggling for a while urinating when we leave her for a few hours. Don't know if she can actually get better by spending the money or we spend the money only to find she needs to be put down anyway. I was told she was at a level 5 as to being dehydrated.
Did you get my response

1- Is it fair to say she was drinking more than usual?

yes I got your response.

Seems as though she has been drinking more than wanting to eat for a couple of months.

Has ER vet done any testing?

She paces a lot all during the day and night then she tired and sleeps. After her accident she was put on a chew sedative because it changed her personality and she was hooper. It made her sleep too much so we stopped it

Has ER vet done any testing?

ER vet wants to run tests for 1200.00...Struggling if it is the right thing or is it her time?

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, if your dog was drinking more than usual and ER vet found her to be dehydrated this is highly suggestive that she may be in kidney failure. You see, if she was drinking and urinating a lot the kidney did not have the ability to hold water in the body.

In response to your question should you put her down? I do understand your concern about cost. But, I think that you should speak to ER veterinarian about running a simple blood test and specific gravity (urine test) to see if she is in kidney failure. This should not cost you more than 75-100 dollars. Then, make a decision based on test results. If she is in kidney failure then her prognosis is going to be very poor. So, I would make the decision of putting her to sleep based on blood work and urinalysis.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian