Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My mother in laws guinea pig bit my son's finger. She

Customer Question

My mother in laws guinea pig bit my son's finger. She cleaned it with peroxide and put neosporin on it. Is that sufficient? Anything to worry about? Also She said that she has been nervous and nipping since they had their carpets cleaned and when we had our dog we had to give him a vitamin type pill for calming for his anxiety...is there anything like that for guinea pigs?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that this happened to your son, it does sound like she did the right thing, the hydrogen peroxide, cleaning followed by neosporin is sufficient and should be addressed like any other wound. They don't carry anything like rabies or bad bacteria like cats do, it is no different than most other puncture wounds or cuts.

If it starts to get red and fill with pus go to the doctor like any other infected cut.

As for anti-anxiety meds for guinea pigs, sorry there really aren't any, I'd just avoid handling the pig and your son should be fine.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did then please leave a rating. Dr. Dan