Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My rabbit has hair loss on s back I need to know what to do

Customer Question

My rabbit has hair loss on his back I need to know what to do for him
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had hair loss?

Is it up over his shoulders or down near his tail?

Any changes to the skin (ie pimples, pustules, crusting, scaling, dander)?

Has he been grooming or itching more?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket,Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not long ago and it's in middle of his back and there is a spot up by his neck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on my phone so I don't know how to send the pic online. I don't have a computer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Fair enough if you cannot post one. In that case, can you tell me if there were skin changes or if he is itching/grooming?

Does he live on his own or with another rabbit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just looks like it's dander and he is the only rabbit in the house. I have two dogs and one cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if you are seeing hair loss in these areas with dander our top concern here would actually be a mite infection. Cheyletiella (also know as "walking dandruff") is a common cause of both these signs in rabbits and often will cause lesions on the back of the neck and down by the tail base.

In regards ***** ***** we can usually do so by examining the dander under the microscope to see the mite. For treatment, we tend to be able to clear these mites with Ivermectin based spot on (ie Xeno) treatments (used once every 2 weeks for 2 doses) or injectable ivermectin administered by his vet.

Overall, based on your description this sounds very suspicious of a Cheyletiella mite infection. Therefore, we'd want to use the above steps to diagnose and treat to clear this for Shrek.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )