Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

How do you stop a mother rabbit who has a stiory of killing

Customer Question

How do you stop a mother rabbit who has a histiory of killing new born babies ?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I suspect the reason no one has answered earlier is that they don't want to give you bad news. However, I don't want you to be ignored, and I believe you deserve honesty.

This is common behavior in young rabbits, especially with first litters, sometimes a second litter as well. . It is though to be an instinct that keeps predators from eating the babies. I know it doesn't make much sense to us. Sometimes there will be a rabbit that chronically kills and/or eats her babies. If your rabbit has killed three or more litters, she probably falls into that category. In most of those cases, there's nothing you can do but stop breeding her. There is one thing you can try. I have had two cases where a total change of environment resulted in a doe with this history caring for her babies. In one case, I had moved to a new home. In the other, a friend took the doe to try breeding her in his rabbitry, and it worked. I must emphasize that these are exceptions, and in most cases this method will not work. If you want to give it a try, you'll need to arrange a major change. A different cage is not enough. If your doe is an outdoor rabbit, try moving her into the house before her next litter.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rabbit. How is everything going?
MsAM