Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Does anyone know how antifreeze stays toxic to animals after

Customer Question

Does anyone know how long antifreeze stays toxic to animals after it is sprayed on grass? One of our farm workers emptied the equipment in our back field while doing maintenance and I put my cat in her carrier to keep her out of it. It will be 3 days tomorrow
and I wonder if it is safe to let her back out? I don't know how long it takes for the elements to break it down enough that it is not dangerous.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Information is not really available on how long it would take antifreeze to degrade in the environment to render it safe for pets since this would depend on a number of factors. However as it is water soluble a very good precaution would be to thoroughly hose the area where the spillage occurred with lots of water, this should quickly dilute it to the point where the risk would be negligible.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in with you after our recent dialogue concerning the antifreeze incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.