I have a pegengeese 12 months old. He has a very strong sour smell on his face. I do wash his face 2× a day.Can it be

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi
i have a pegengeese 12 months old.
He has a very strong sour smell on his face.
I do wash his face 2× a day.Can it be that the nose channel is blocked. When he has a ball in his mouth he struggles with breathing.He do swim a lot, it is very hot here 41*C We keep his hair short.
No red around the eyes. Sometimes watery.
He is overall a happy chappy
Answered by Dr. B. in 5 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Dr. B.
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What are you washing his face with?

Any discharge or moisture in those facial folds?

If you hold your finger up in front of each nostril, is there reduced air flow?

Have you seen any discharge from his nose?

Any coughing or sneezing?

Customer
Tee tree soap for dogs
no sneezing or cough.
Sometimes he vomits slime. Mor in the mornings.
sometimes little discharge from nose
Customer
The vet gave him Xailin night but i dont think dry eys is his problem
Customer
No reduce of airflow

Thank you,

While Jagger is of a breed notorious for narrow nasal passages (stenotic nares), his signs do not really fit with that odor being nasal based. Instead, I'd be more concerned that we have a facial fold dermatitis with an overgrowth of either yeast (often given a sour milk or bread smell) or bacteria. In this case, instead of tea tree soap, you would be better using an antibacterial/yeast product like Malaket wipes (Example) or Malacetic wipes (example). The Malacetic ones are particularly good if they are irritated or itchy with their skin at all. Otherwise, you could wash these folds with diluted OTC chlorohexidine. Whichever you use, do so 2-3 times daily and make sure to dry the area thoroughly. This also should be done after any swimming as that will be a prime trigger for catching moisture and bacteria in the folds.

Overall, these signs are not consistent with a nasal issue. I do think he likely has a developemental narrowing of his nasal passages but with these current signs we'd be more suspicious of microrganism overgrowth in those facial folds.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer
Thank you. I will try all .and hope it will work.
Regards Ronel

You are very welcome, Ronel.

If you have any struggles with this, you can request that his vet swab the area for culture (to tell you what is specifically present) but the above usually helps for most of our cases.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. B.
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. B.
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.