My German Shepard is 12 years old and has an injection approx every 3 months plus anti inflammatory when needed. He was

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My German Shepard is 12 years old and has an injection approx every 3 months plus anti inflammatory when needed. He was following me around while I was mowing the lawns (2 acres) and he has over done it. He won't sit or lie down and has been walking and standing for hours. I have given him 1 1/2 anti inflammatories but I don't think they have kicked in yet. We have tried lying him down but he gets straight up again. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Bruce in 4 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this guy's situation. What anti-inflammatory did you give him and size? How much does he weigh? Is he acting like he is trying to vomit at all or retch? Does he look any larger in his abdomen region?

Customer
Previcox 227 mg and he weighs approx 42 kgs . He does not appear to want to vomit and his tummy looks normal. He is panting a lot and he appears to want to lie down but stops half way down . Note he cannot sit due to an accident when he was younger.

Thank you for answering those questions. I have a few more. Since he started to act like this has he drank anything or ate anything? Does it look like he's breathing harder than normal or quicker than normal? Do his gums look pink?

Customer
he has eaten his tea, not sure if he has been drinking or not because he keeps walking in and out. His gums look pink and I think he is breathing a little quicker.
Customer
Yeah I think he is ok he is lying down at long last! Will take him to vet tomorrow for check up!

That is great that he's lying down at long last. With him having had the previcox, hopefully that is finally kicking in. It is an NSAID and it can't be combined with anything else that an owner may have at home. As far as his situation, if he was to at all start to retch / vomit with nothing, have a distended belly, act painful in his belly, strain to urinate, have pale gums, or have weakness - those would all be red flags for possibly more emergent of a situation. These would warrant a trip to an ER clinic if they were seen. I'm hopeful that he'll now lay down and continue to rest.

Anytime I have a bigger, deep chested dog act this way, the situation of a twisted stomach always gets brought up. When that happens, they can look similar initially but then progress to the abdominal distention, the retching with no production, and weakness.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.