DR SALKIN Hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend. Where is the hike taking you now? Allie is a more recent adoptee

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: DR MICHAEL SALKIN
Hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend. Where is the hike taking you now?
Allie is a more recent adoptee from our shelter. She was said to be about 8 yrs old but I suspect she might be over 10. She is a fat dilute calico with almost bulgy eyes. She had labs in April and her glucose was in normal range as her other labs were normal too. She has chronic upper resp/throat grunty sounds when distressed or moving around too much. She also has had yeast infections in her ears. I took her home in June and noticed by the end of July that she was emptying water bowls and urinating next to the litter box-very dilute. So I tested the blood from her ear and it was in the 400s. Started her on lantus insulin that I had on hand for my other diabetic cat. Started with low doses and started wondering if she wasn't absorbing well as it didn't do much. I am now up to 4 units twice daily and still not seeing it below 300. I had another cat at the vet today and mentioned it to the vet and she said it could be something with her adrenals etc. I will make an appt after the holidays and get tests done. In the mean time, would you think it strange for her to have normal glucose in April then in the 400s by July? Or does feline diabetes come on more gradually?
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 15 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

I did 7 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail today. That's the trail Reese Witherspoon hiked in the movie "Wild" but I'm doing the portion in the Laguna Mtns. and Anza-Borrego State Parks. I walked right by a big rattler that hissed and rattled but didn't strike; hence, I'm here speaking with you. Most commonly, cats can produce enough insulin but they lose the ability to react to the insulin. Here's a good review for you: http://www.catvets.com/cat-owners/disease-and-conditions/diabetes. This can occur quite quickly particularly if an underlying disease process is present. One of those diseases is Cushing's which is what her vet was thinking about when the vet mentioned the adrenal glands. Cushing's, however, isn't common in cats. Any inflammatory process can cause a poor response to insulin; hence, the need for diagnostics which I want to review, please. When a normal-sized cat requires 4 units of glargine insulin, we need to look for concomitant diseases. It can be as simple as a bacterial urinary tract infection and we already know that she has chronic respiratory disease most likely infectious in origin.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer

Wow, how close was the rattler!? You do have excitement in your life!

The vet also mentioned a UTI and will have that checked. I would agree that it probably is an infection.

My other diabetic cat is also on 4.5 units twice a day and has been checked for UTI and nothing else seen. He does respond to the dose though. I will let you know when labs are done. Thanks and enjoy the weekend. Will you be seeing your daughter?

I would have stepped on it if it didn't scoot away as quickly as it did...and I'm always looking for them. It must have been well-hidden in the chaparral next to the trail.

Good, I want to hear from you. Megan (my daughter) and I had breakfast together at our favorite deli. She's a keeper.

Customer

You are a lucky man to have Megan. And to not get bitten by a rattler.

I have a 45 yr old friend who is going through a second incidence of breast cancer. She was 34 at the time of the first one. She isn't married, broke up a 16 yr relationship with a boyfriend a couple yrs ago, no kids. She is freaking out so have been trying to be supportive. Don't know that I would be any different if it was me. Fortunately she is Stage I. My hope is that I go no sooner than after my last cat goes...maybe a good reason to keep cats around! It's the journey that matters and boy you have been having interesting ones :)

Nancy

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Oh my. Yes, let's keep all those cats around! Keep me posted, Nancy!

Hi Nancy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Allie. How is everything going?
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.