I think my dog has constipation is their anything I can give him to help him he isn't in pain

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think my dog has constipation is their anything I can give him to help him he isn't in pain
Answered by Pet Doc in 37 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Pet Doc
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay, your reply just came to me. Yes, there are a few things you could try for Scamp to try and get things moving for him. The best 'at home' remedy is to pop around a dessert spoon of cooking oil on some wet food twice a day for a few days. This helps coat the poop at his terminal colon to help them slide through more easily. If you can source it, Lactulose syrup works perfectly for this situation, however you may need a prescription from your Vet for this. You can see an example of this available online here: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Lactulose+Solution-prod10665.html

If his poop is really quite firm and he is very painful when trying to pass them, then a product called "micralax" coudl be given (rectally) by your Vet handle this problem. Often this is enough to get things moving, however in some cases a full enema under general anesthesia is necessary.

If he isn't in pain (as you say), then the simplest method would be to feed him wet food only for a good couple of weeks. Also try to increase his water intake during this time. Often dogs become constipated as a result of dehydration from drinking insufficient quantities of water. You could also add some cooked mashed pumpkin to this. The high fiber content will really help to get things moving. The other option would be to use a little plain metamucil on his wet food (around a teaspoon) once per day ongoing. The psyillium husk in the metamucil helps to keep the stool moist and gel-like, assisting your boy when he is passing his feces.

Best of luck and I hope things start moving for Scamp soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi Donald,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scamp. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Customer
Fine thank you your help was very good
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Pet Doc
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Pet Doc
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.