My dog won't stop liking his privates. He is fixed and been for a few years now but yesterday he stated liking

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog won't stop liking his privates. He is fixed and been for a few years now but yesterday he stated liking excessively. Today I put a cone on him. There is a yellowish whitish milky discharge. What is happening?
Answered by Dr. Dan in 1 min 7 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Dan
13+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Has he changed his urinary habits too (asking to go outside a lot or urinating in the house) or just the licking?

Dr. Dan

Customer
No excessive wanting to go or having accidents. If anything maybe he hasn't urinared as much as normal.
Customer
Mostly just licking...

Thank you for the information. What he likely has is an infection of the tip of the penis and or the inner lining of the sheath of skin (prepuce) that covers the penis. There are two ways to take care of this problem the first is to flush the prepuce and penis 1-2 x daily with water and soap or water and betadine, this is better done by extending the penis out of the sheath, the other way is with oral antibiotics. Besides being really annoying, the licking is not a problem and you don't have to make him stop. As long as he is not having any urine issues then this can wait until Mon as it is rarely if ever life threatening, I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

Customer
should it clear up without having to go to he vet? About how long, roughly? What causes this?

It is possible that it can clear up on it's own but rarely is this the case. If it does clear up on it's own it will be a couple of days. Generally the cause is the anatomy. That area of the body is an easy place to trap dirt and moisture which is a great place for yeast and bacterial infections to grow.

Dr. Dan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Dan
logo
logo
logo
13+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Dan
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.