Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog suddenly is drinking a lot of water and trying to

Customer Question

My dog suddenly is drinking a lot of water and trying to purge... He is also weak... Is there anything I can do to help him?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did this all start in the past 2 hours?
Was the stool black?
Can he keep any water down? Any food?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has kept some water sown. No interest in food. Gums are pale. Panting. Allows me to gently press both sides and abdomen without complaint. Now resting
. Weak, lethargic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has not eaten anything beyond his normal food that we are aware of...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
his stool was black. Sorry, I keep rereading your text to see if I have missed anything.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that I am very concerned about your lad.
He is in a precarious state with this. The reason he is weak, collapsed, and panting is because he is anemic and bleeding into his stomach. The black stool you have seen is a sign of blood that has been bled into the upper GI and digested before being passed. This can be seen with stomach ulcers, tumors, and secondary to gut trauma (if they eat something sharp) or toxic.
In this case, I have to warn you that this is an emergency situation. Those white gums are telling us that the volume of blood lost here is already severe and he is on the verge of collapse. And if he hasn't enough blood in his circulation, this will mean less oxygen to move and essentially live.
Therefore, I am very sorry that I have to report the gravity of his situation. But this is a case where he needs an emergency vet now to have any chance of recovery. To find your local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paula,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cosmo. How is everything going?
Dr. B.