Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 7 year old Maltese is having rectal bleeding with coagulated

Customer Question

My 7 year old Maltese is having rectal bleeding with coagulated blood and liquid blood, I took her to the vet. diagnosis is gastroenteritis. She was given fluids under the skin and antibiotic injection. I was given 2 medications to give her, one is a liquid and the other is a tablet. she will not take any of this medication, she also bites if I force her to open her mouth...I wrapped the tablet in cheese, she refused to eat. Cheese has been one of her favorite snacks...How do I get her to take these medications? The bleeding was worse Wed after she saw the vet, Today, Thurs. she has had two episodes of bleeding. She also refuses to eat...Thank you for your help. Marilyn N..
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Typically, with this degree of bleeding in the stools, it suggest a diagnosis of HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). This typically is an illness that requires hospitalization with IV fluids for 24-48 hours. Most cases I've seen, do not improve with outpatient treatment in the manner you've described. I suspect that you will need to have Tootsie's condition re-evaluated, and she likely will need to be admitted to the hospital for overnight care, to receive intra-venous fluids and other injectable medications. Only after she's started to eat willingly, can she be started on oral medicines and discharged from the clinic so that you can care for her at home. I know this might not be the answer you were hoping for, but I believe it to be correct based on what you have described.