Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My cat is crying and panting a lot. i just took him to the

Customer Question

my cat is crying and panting a lot. i just took him to the vet earlier today because he has a flea problem. is he having a hard time with the medication
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, which medications were prescribed? Did Oscar receive any injections? Was the flea product administered while Oscar was still in the exam room? An adverse reaction can occur to most any insecticide. Any injectable drug isn't likely to result in crying and panting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hellow, thank you for getting back to me, the medication is activyl. and it was not injected, it is just liquid applied to his skin (behind neck and sholders) like advantage. and we put it on him when we got home.
i took a damp shirt and wiped his fur and face to cool him down. because i thought one it is hot tonight, and two his skin might feel inflamed or irritated. he stopped panting, and his crying wasnt as frequent or as savvier. and today he seems fine
That's good to hear. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.
Indoxacarb (Activyl) does appear to be well tolerated with doses of 5X those recommended not causing any adverse effects.
Hi Sean,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oscar is doing so much better. he seems calm and happy. so i think the medication worked, and what ever was irritating him is no longer an issue. thank you for your follow up.sean
That's good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know, Sean.