Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Terminez guy sprayed solution containing cyfluthrin (.1% )

Customer Question

terminez guy sprayed solution containing cyfluthrin (.1% ) passing relatively quickly about two-three feet over our 6 lb rabbit. He doesn't think it's a problem, but....
Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Here's the scoop on cyfluthrin and rabbits. I can't imagine that your rabbit is at risk...
"Cyfluthrin is considered moderately toxic to mammals. The oral dose of cyfluthrin that resulted in mortality to half of the test animals (LD50) ranged from 869 - 1271 mg/kg in rats, 291 - 609 mg/kg in mice, >1000 mg/kg in sheep, > 100 mg/kg in dogs and > 1000 mg/kg in RABBITS - an enormous amount. In inhalation toxicity tests with rats, the concentration of cyfluthrin in air that resulted in mortality to half of the test animals (LC50) was >1,089 ug/l in 1 hour tests, and ranged from 469 - 592 ug/l in 4 hour tests (6). Although cyfluthrin is an irritant to human skin, especially facial skin, it is not considered to have high dermal toxicity. The dermal LD50 in tests with rats was > 5,000 mg/kg, and was not found to be a skin irritant or sensitizer in guinea pigs and RABBITS."
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Great news! Can you tell me what I symptoms I should look out for indicating a poisoning? Thank you so much for your response.
Cyfluthrin is in the pyrethroid class of insecticide. These can cause agitation, tremors, and even seizures if enough were ingested. If you haven't seen such symptoms at this time, however, you're not going to.
You're quite welcome.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI,Banzai is doing great. He seems to have suffered no effects of the spray. Thank you for checking on him.
That's good to hear. Thank you for the taking the time to let me know.