Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I watched my daughters pet lop eared rabbit over the weekend…

Customer Question
I watched my daughters pet...
I watched my daughters pet lop eared rabbit over the weekend and when she got home she said his stomach felt huge. Did I over feed him. Is he ok
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2015
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How was his appetite with you? What did you feed?
Has he been eating well? Passing stool?
Does he look full or bloated with gas?
Does she hear more or less gut noise then usual?
He's young born first of March he always acts hungry. Stools seem normal. A little larger than normal
I fed him some banana a little Apple very little. Cabbage leaves and pellets and hay
Thank you,
Just since they are as important as the information you did provide, can you also tell me:
Does he look full or bloated with gas?
Yes my daughter said his stomach looked huge
Also, since I see you offered cabbage, does he usually get this as part of his diet? Did he have more then usual?
Does he looked hunched at all? Or active as usual?
I don't know about gut sounds
Yes he gets this as part of his diet. She gives him different greens. Yes I'm sure I gave him more leaves than normal.
I can't see him. I got a text from her when she got home at 930pm that said his tummy looked huge
Hello are you still there
Thank you for your patience,
I am currently writing my full reply to you regarding his signs and what needs to be done here.
Speak to you again shortly,
Dr. B.
Thank you
Thank you,
Now the reason for my range of questions is because while overfeeding could cause weight gain and a very full belly; we do need to be cautious about other concerns. Specifically, we could see this associated with the overproduction of gas from his normal gut bacteria but also see this as an early stage signs of GI stasis.
Therefore, we need to tread with care. In regards ***** ***** concerns, this can be quite serious for them. As rabbits cannot burp, gas can distend the gut, cause discomfort/pain, and lead to anorexia. This can arise if we change what we feed (so if you offered more/less of things he was used to) or if we feed foods that are very prone to reacting with the gut to cause excess gas. And the cabbage is a major suspect with this, especially if you could have given more then he was used to. So, right off the bat this is a concern and he needs to have all cabbage from his diet suspended for the next few days.
Otherwise, our even more worrying concern would be the potentially for GI stasis. As I am sure you can appreciate, the rabbit GI needs to always be moving (like a conveyer belt). If it stops, we can see it actually come to a halt and be potentially fatal for our rabbits. If his GI were slowing, this could lead to gas accumulation, the distension, and slowing of fecal production.
Finally, I do have to note that unrelated to his GI, we can also see distension in rabbits with fluid build up in their abdomen (ie secondary to heart, liver, circulation issues), or if they have organ enlargement (ie liver) or tumors (less likely if he is young). And I would note that all of these could cause compression of the gut and lead to slowing of fecal passage and potential larger stools. So, these too are concerns and if these are present then your feeding would be a red herring.
Overall, these are our concerns for his signs. As long as he is eating, she can stop the cabbage, increase his hay in his diet (forage can help restore fecal and GI motility regularity), treat with a OTC rabbit probiotic (ie Biolapis) to restore his normal gut bacterial population to optimum. While doing this, she can measure his belly girth with a tape measure and monitor that that decreases over the next few days. Of course, if he goes off his food, stops passing stools, distends any further, is poorly, or isn't settling; then we'd have to be worried about those other issues and would want to follow up with his vet for a check up at that stage.
Finally, if she doesn't have a rabbit vet, she can find one at http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Thank you!
You are very welcome,
Take care,
Dr. B.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Thank you Dr B. I was so worried and you answered all my questions. What an amazing service this was. I would highly recommend this to all my animal loving friends. Sometimes you just can't wait for the doors to open to a business, you need to know now. Thank you againBunny foo foo's grandma:)
You are welcome, my dear.
I am glad that I could answer all your question and help you get an idea of what may be affecting Bunny Foo Foo and help him. :)
Have a great day,
Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.