Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I have a horse and two donkies and at first the horse had blots

Customer Question
of hair missing, then his...
I have a horse and two donkies and at first the horse had blots of hair missing, then his coat seemed find but I noticed bleeding around his ankles and knee joints then I noticed the same bleeding with the dinkies! They are constantly eating but their butt bone and ribbs are starting to show. I don't know what is happening! I have pictures if that will help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/12/2015
Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Yes, I'd like to see some photos.Also, where in the United States are you located?Do they seem itchy to you? Thanks.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Yes, I'd like to see some photos.Also, do they seem to be itchy to you? What area of the U.S. Are you in?
They did seem itchy at one point! I noticed that bugs were all over the horse, like knats and flies and I sprayed and they left for a little while then returned! They were scratching their bodies more than normal! Did you get the pics? I am in Louisiana...
No, I don't see any photos yet.
Do I just click + Add Files and select the pics or is there another way?
Yes that sounds right
I am adding the pics, but I don't see them added!
Is there an email I can send them to?
I do wonder about two possibilities though....Lice or mites: these would make them very itchy....lice you can see with the naked eye but mites you can not. You can try and treat for both by deworming them all with ivermectin and a delousing topical powder available at feed storesBlack fly - fly strike....sometimes those little gnats can get so bad that they eat the skin raw plus the horse is itching bad and rubbing it raw. Things that help are coating the heavily affected areas with SWAT, having a fan or moving air on them, or using leg protectors.
That's alright we will make do without them.
Since you are in the south, a fungal infection is also a possibility or a bad bacterial dermatitis. But these are less likely to affect all of them
For the weight issue....make sure they have constant access to a high quality hay. You may want to consider adding some grain as a supplement for a period of time. If they are itching a lot, they are taking that time away from eating.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. If there is no improvement with the above treatments, have a vet out to see them
This website shows an example of fly strikehttp://horsetalk.co.nz/2013/10/17/appeals-information-two-british-neglect-cases/#axzz3ZtvK2fA1
This ones dhows choriooptic mange http://poolhousevets.com/Equine/lice-and-mites/
Thank you, ***** ***** upload pics from my PC later today, my phone is not letting me! I just believe that you could better pin point the issue if you could see them, anyway good night!
No problem. I hope that gave you some kind of game plan.... And there is no guarantee I can nail down what it is from a photo....a hands on exam is often necessary for skin issues. Please remember to rate my response if you found our chat helpful. If you get the photos uploaded, I'll look at them in the morning and let you know if it changes anything.
Ok thanks for the photos. Here are my thoughtsIt is likely either choriooptic mange or what is called scratches - a bacterial/fungal infection from wet skin and the hair trapping dirt against the skin. Based on the horse photo, they are emaciated...incredibly skinny. They may have immune system issues because of this and that is why the infection whether mites or fungus has gotten out of control.You can try the treatments I mentioned- the ivermectin deworming and also if possible shave and clean the affected areas. Use an antibacterial shampoo to clean the sores. Dry them well and try to keep them out of the mud.You REALLY need to have s vet look at them too to help you make sure their are no other issues that are contributing to the weight loss and help you get them on a weight gaining diet.
I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Please remember to rate my response if you found our chat helpful.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Calvary. How is everything going?

DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian