Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Yesterday I took my 10-yr old cat to the vet for a routine

checkup. As soon as I...
Yesterday I took my 10-yr old cat to the vet for a routine checkup. As soon as I got him inside the waiting room, he had a seizure. He has never had a seizure before. We are testing his blood, but I was wondering if extreme stress could cause a cat to have a seizure. Last year I had to put his littermate down because of unresponsive diabetes. My other cat mourned for months. Could this have caused him to seize?
11/19/2013
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Grizzly Bear today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

It is certainly possible that the stress of the visit precipitated the seizure and that there is no underlying disease process present, but it is good that you are having the routine bloodwork tested. Keep in mind, that even if the bloodwork is normal, that doesn't rule out disease in the brain, or epilepsy. If the seizures continue, he may need a more advanced work up to get to the cause such as an MRI.

Here is a link with more information about seizures in dogs and cats: LINK HERE

We always say that every pet is allowed one seizure before we are sure there is something underlying causing them. It is not uncommon that in these "one-time events", we never do identify the cause.

Good luck with him.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can help you with and I will be happy to respond. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you for your quick response. I must admit that I freaked out when my own vet said the seizure could be caused by a tumor or other underlying disease. Your answer has helped reassure me, since I had such a bad experience with my other sick cat last year.

Thanks again,

Heather

You are most welcome and please keep me posted as to how things progress for him.
Hello Heather,

I was just following up to see how Grizzly Bear is doing. Has there been any further seizure activity?

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can address.

Dr Z
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian