Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

One of my hens hasnt today. It is getting cold here and

One of my hens hasn't laid today. It is getting cold here and she is young. Not overly worried but when I cleaned coop was a large pile of coral coloured poop. More orange than bloody looking. Checked bottoms of all three girls, nothing obvious. They all seem perky. Out scratching in the garden for 3 hours, eating and drinking. Newbie hen keeper!
Hi there,

If there's no diarrhea and all your girls seem healthy and perky, it may just be that one of them ate something coral-colored (or that became coral-colored during the digestive process) whilst out in the garden. For now, I'd recommend monitoring them closely for the next few days, but no other intervention.

Signs of illness related to abnormal stools include:
-Lethargy or withdrawal from the other birds
-Ruffled feathers
-Tremors
-Weight loss
-Stools that are oily, wet, or greenish, grayish, or yellow
-Stools that have an especially foul odor

If you are seeing large volumes of stool, parasites could be a problem. I recommend deworming backyard flocks twice a year with a product like piperazine or fenbendazole, which you can get over the counter at the feed store.

Hens often will lay a clutch of eggs by laying several days in a row and then skipping a day, and young birds may skip more frequently or even stop laying entirely during the cold weather months. As long as everyone is happy, healthy, and maintaining weight, I don't get too excited.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know what other questions you have.