Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

We got our dog we are fostering fix and been following when

We got our dog we...

We got our dog we are fostering fix and been following when to give pain killers. Now dog has no control over body movements. When he wants to walk towards you he in a sense throws himself forward and can injure himself. Not sure what to do. we gave prescribed Tramadol.

10/21/2013
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that Diogi doesn't seem to be recovering well from his neuter. Confining him to his crate to prevent injury was a good idea.

Depending on what drugs were used to anesthetize him for his surgery, and how long it has been since he woke up from anesthesia, some of what you are seeing could be a sort of "hang over" from the anesthetic. Alternatively, he could be reacting poorly to the tramadol.

If it has been more than 24 hours since his surgery, I'd suspect the tramadol rather than the anesthesia. I'd suggest witholding his next dose and seeing if you see improvement. I'd also suggest giving the vet who did the surgery a call, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if it is the tramadol, your vet might be able to prescribe a different class of drug for pain control that he might tolerate better. Secondly, the vet can make a note in his records that he didn't respond well to either the anesthesia or to the tramadol, so that caution is used if he ever needs anesthesia or pain control in the future.

If his surgery took place less than 24 hours ago, he may need more time to recover from his anesthesia. I'd suggest letting him rest safely in his crate and not giving him more medication for the time being.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian

Yeah it has been almost 72 hours since surgery. Of coarse I haven't given him any medicine since last night. I got my larger dogs kennel to give him more room and he went to sleep. I am waiting for him to wake up so i can get some fluids into him.

Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian