Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Our hamster fell off my daughters shoulders

Our hamster was climbing around...

Our hamster was climbing around on my daughter's shoulders and fell. She appeared to land on her back. She seemed stunned, and then it seemed she had some pain somewhere in the right front. When she could move, the first thing she did was empty her right front cheek pouch. We put her in the cage to rest and she seemed to climb OK, but she's acting funny. She was moving her lower jaw back and forth, and now she is scratching the left side of her chin with her left foot. We're observing her closely. What can we do for hamster first aid?

10/20/2013
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Peach's accident. It appears that she has been injured possibly through her neurologic system that is causing this odd behavior and is probably bruised and in some pain.

For now, give supportive care which means to give Peach 1-2 ounces of Pedialyte every 4 hrs to be sure she remains hydrated and give her a small dose of liquified hamster feed in a dropper every 4 hrs. You can give her aspirin but the dose is very tiny and is 1/20 of a baby aspirin every 12 hrs. You can crush up the pill and divide this into 20 parts....this can decrease the inflammation that is causing her this distress.

If she does not respond within a day, have your vet examine Peach to know if we have missed something such as a concussion.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

It has been about 9.5 hours since her accident. Unfortunately it happened at 9:30 PM PST last night, so I guess nobody was able to get back to me sooner, and after midnight my time I went to bed. I was up at 6 AM this morning and got your answer right away, ran to the store and got some Pedialyte and baby aspirin. I ground up the baby aspirin and mixed it with 20 ml of Pedialyte and attempted to give her 1 ml using a dropper. I think I got most of it into her. She started sipping the dropper after awhile. I then attempted to give her just Pedialyte from a dropper but she didn't seem to want to take it. I bought the flavorless kind since I didn't know what flavor she might like or if any of the flavors were OK for her. I tried adding a few drops of honey, but she still didn't seem interested. What do you think I should do to get her to take it? How best should I feed it to her? I figured the dropper would be similar to her water dispenser -- maybe I should just replace the water in the dispenser with Pedialyte? I wasn't sure what to do about liquid hamster feed but I chopped up some blueberries and she nibbled some pieces and stored the rest. I figured they would contain both liquid and electrolytes.

She seems to be able to walk, climb, drink, eat, and do hamstery things, but her movements are shaky and wobbly. Unfortunately it is Sunday now and I don't know if our local vet will be open. If she is not in immediate danger I can wait until Monday but in the meantime, I do suspect concussion or some kind of neurological damage. How should we be treating her? Normally she is handled quite a lot; I'm thinking it would be good to leave her in her cage to rest?

Yes, Charity...leave Peach alone to rest and heal...

use a dropper and wrap her in a towel to give her a few drops of the Pedialyte with the aspirin and the honey ....if she does not want to take it, force a few drops in and she will get this. Because of her injury and the possibility of a concussion, the more fluids and energy you can get into her, the better.

You are doing great so far, Charity....keep up the good work....
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Thank you so much, Charity for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Peach will do well....

Have a great day!

Hi Charity,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peach. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian