Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hi...I wont be offended, if you cant answer this question. My

Hi...I won't be offended, if you can't answer this question.
My 16 plus years old cat with kidney failure is fading by the minute...how much Diazepam will help him pass on? He weighs less than a third of his healthy weight, only licks the moist food I offer, and sits mostly in a crunched position all day. I love him enough to help end his or my? misery as there is no hope for improvement, and I am comfortable with the thought that he has had a good life with me- I found him at a flea market some 16 years ago, and he's been second to only my first cat I adopted on New Years Eve 1969, and I have adopted many cats since then!

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

unfortunately, Diazepam, even in very high doses, will not cause the peaceful passing you are hoping for.

Dr. Drew :

Diazepam has a rather high margin of safety, and is unlikely to cause death.

Dr. Drew :

It may, however, cause digestive upset / nausea if large amounts are ingested,

Dr. Drew :

and that could in turn make Bhumipol even more miserable.

Dr. Drew :

I cannot recommend that you attempt an overdose of Diazepam in an effort to euthanize him.