Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Why did my 8 yr old dogs legs go numb overnight? Yesterday

Why did my 8 yr old dog's legs go numb overnight? Yesterday he was ok..this morning his hind legs are almost useless.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What breed is Sozo?
2- Is he dragging his back legs?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sozo is a "long-haired Chihuahua mix", weighs 27 lbs. He appears to be dragging his legs when he tries to walk. No other symptoms or conditions. He received his bordatello(sp?) vaccine on Wednesday.

1- Is he alert and responsive?
2- Can he stand on his own?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is alert and responsive but has difficulty standing on his own.

Friend, I am concern of the symptoms that you are describing in Sozo, this is consistent with a pinch nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. This is an emergency. You see, if there is a disc compressing the spinal cord he may be permanently paralyzed if not treated quickly. Unfortunately not much you will be able to do for him at home. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. To find the nearest ER vet in your area follow the link below:

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&Itemid=193&nationid=1&searchword=&rpp=12&stateid=27&action=do_search

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sozo. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter