Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My African grey parrot seems to be shedding the outer coating

My African grey parrot seems to be shedding the outer coating of his beak...Is this OK?
Yes, as long as you're not seeing abnormal feathers and claws indicative of the psittacine beak and feather disease (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psittacine_beak_and_feather_disease) and Maxwell has a nicely balanced diet (pelleted rations are preferred + regular supplementation with vitamins and minerals as are found in products such as Super Preen + fresh table foods), you're likely to be seeing the normal remodeling of his beak. The outer keratinized layers are being replaced by new beak.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.