Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

male guinea pig has a uti (pinkish and little squeals

male guinea pig has a uti (pinkish urine and little squeals when urinating). How do I get antibiotics?

Dr. Gregg :

Hello, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you out today. From your description, your assessment that bedhead has a bladder infection could be correct, but there are other things that could cause these symptoms as well (bladder stone, tumor, kidney disease, etc). Of these bladder infection is the most likely. Antibiotics I would use for this are trimethoprim-sulfa, baytril or chloramphenicol. As far as where you can get them.. from a vet who treats these little guys. I am unaware of anywhere you can find these antibiotics without a doctors prescription. Check with a local vet and see if they can help you out. Good luck with bedhead. I hope all goes well. I will try to answer any further questions you have.

Customer:

Aren't you able to write me a prescription as a vet? Maybe call it in to petmeds or something like that? All of the vets in our area have told me they don't treat guinea pigs.

Dr. Gregg :

I am not leagally allowed to write a script for a patient I have not examined. Perhaps a local vet would help you out?

Customer:

Like I said, none of the local vets will help. I'm in a small town. What type of dose would I give the guinea pig if I used an unfinished subscription of zithromyacin. I have a 500mg pill. Can you help with that?

Customer:

He weighs a kilo

Dr. Gregg :

I can give you the dose of azithromycin for a guinea pig, but it will be difficult for you to accurately dose it since the dosage range for bedhead is 15 to 30 mg.

Customer:

Can I dissolve it in 500ml of water and give him 15 ml ?

Dr. Gregg :

15 ml is a lot for a guinea pig. Try 125ml water. Gives you 4mg/ml so 4 -8ml would do it. Given once daily. Pill is probably not soluble so you will be making a suspension of tiny pieces of the pill in water. Not real accurate but is the best that you can do with what you have. Powder the pill as fine as possible, shake well and hope you get close to an "average" sample of the pill. probably would go with lower dose to prevent overdose

Customer:

Great. Thanks. My daughter is upset with the pink urine and the squealing. Hopefully it is only a UTI.

Dr. Gregg :

Good luck

Hi Jay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bedhead. How is everything going?

Dr. Gregg