Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog is 8.5 lb yorkie and ate two of the red rings around

My dog is 8.5 lb yorkie and ate two of the red rings around the bologna - I tried to get it out of his mouth before he swallowed it but he just swallowed it whole about 10 minutes ago. Should I take him to the Emergency Vet?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jackson.
Generally, that encasing/ring is made out of plastic. If it was a small ring and this was a 90 pound dog, I would be a bit less concerned.

However, at only 8.5 pounds, I am a bit nervous if something could cause an obstruction.

So, very tough question.
No fingers down throat. We see a lot of injuries that way.

If only 10 minutes ago, you could elect to induce vomiting to see if they could come up.

To induce vomiting at home, give 1 to 2 teaspoons for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide. ONLY use the 3% peroxide. If no vomiting within 15 minutes, the dose can be repeated. It is an irritant to the stomach lining, and that is why it causes vomiting. 1 teaspoon is 5ml of liquid.

After about 1 hour, I would not be trying to induce vomiting.

If unsure, at the ER they could take an x-ray to see if visible, and if based on appearance could it pass.
Otherwise, if you decide to wait and not induce vomiting, definitely keep an eye out for:
- any vomiting or trying to vomit (even once)
- loss of appetite
- painful belly
- panting a lot to suggest nausea or pain.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I gave him 5ml of peroxide it says on the back of it is 3% he is vomiting now and they came up but he won't stop throwing up. How can I settle his stomach now?

Understood.

To help settle the stomach you could give a 1/4 tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid, or a 1/2 tsp of pepto-bismol.
Even a 1/4 tablet of some over the counter prilosec would be okay.

But, I would wait maybe another few minutes before trying to give an antacid.

Sorry to hear about everything. Hope that extra info helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It helped a lot he has stopped throwing up but he is not real happy with me right now. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it

You are very welcome. Peroxide is a stomach irritant. That is how it induces vomiting. So, don't be surprised if there is still a few more vomiting episodes. I would not try to offer any food or water for at least a few hours. Give that stomach some time to settle.

Good Luck

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jackson. How is everything going?