Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Hi There, I have a 10 year old female husky who has developed

Hi There,
I have a 10 year old female husky who has developed a sudden pain in her front left paw. She is avoiding putting weight on it but can still walk. I have tried to inspect the paw. She yelps and pulls away if I touch it too much but from what I can tell, the pain is in between her 2 outside toes or nails. All I can see is a kind of red or irritated area but its very difficult to see because of all the fur. I first noticed the limp 48 hours ago and seems to be slowly getting worse. Should I take her to the vet asap?

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello, This is Dr. Christian.

Dr. Christian K. :

Is she licking at the paw too?

Customer:

She has only a couple of time, then yelps shortly after. Its like she wants to lick or bite it but its too painful.

Dr. Christian K. :

Thank you for that information. Considering the redness and the worsening I would worry about an infection or perhaps even something under the skin (such as a thorn). It would be best to have her seen as soon as you can by your regular vet. You could try soaking the paw in warm epsom salt water for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly afterward. Some ice afterward may also help.

Customer:

Will do. Thanks Doc!

Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. Good luck. I hope she feels better.