Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I have a 5m/o female English black lab 25lbs with persistent

diarrhea for 4 days seems...
I have a 5m/o female English black lab 25lbs with persistent diarrhea for 4 days seems to be getting worse daily. She has been seen by Vets currently prescribed fortiflora, metronidazole 25mg, and endosorb. I have owned this dog for 2 weeks. Diarrhea very liquid this morning. There was a food change from iams puppy to science diet healthy advantage which was gradual but has since been returned to original food. Out of concern that she has been eating things like leaves and twigs when I had not been paying attention I began researching one plant in particular- wisteria. I didn’t know it is toxic which I discovered – horrified because my dog compound is surrounded by it for more than ten years. The pup has been pulling leaves and twigs off these vines for days. Looking at incidents there are concerns expressed about organ damage such as liver. I spoke with an on-call vet this morning (9/15) who is not too concerned being that the only symptom is diarrhea. Vet says if I am concerned that I should schedule bloodwork Monday(9/16) which I will do. Just looking for another opinion because I think the situation could be urgeant.
9/15/2013
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian

Dr. Christina :

Hello my name isXXXXX and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help you.

Dr. Christina :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

available to chat

Dr. Christina :

hello, I am sorry Niki isn't feeling well.

Dr. Christina :

Is Niki still eating and acting ok? she is just experiencing diarrhea?

Customer:

appetite is good and activity is ok other than diarrhea. she was seen by vet yesterday- temperature normal.

Dr. Christina :

ok... and did you see her eating the wisteria?

Customer:

this morning - but I have found her with the leaves in her mouth several times over past 4-5 days. I did not know about the toxic issue.

Dr. Christina :

So the seeds and pods are the most toxic, and like you said, they cause stomach upset, sometimes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Dr. Christina :

sometimes they can just cause diarrhea.

Dr. Christina :

is her energy level ok?

Dr. Christina :

the toxin in it can be a depressant as well.

Customer:

energy is good

Dr. Christina :

If she had just ingested some this morning, I would tell you to induce vomiting to get it out of her system. but since she's been eating it for the past few days, and now we are seeing diarrhea, getting rid of what's in her system from this morning will likely not do anything.

Dr. Christina :

typically this is self-limiting if you remove the inciting cause.

Dr. Christina :

and this likely explains why the medications your vet prescribed are not working... although it has only been a day, so I would give it time.

Dr. Christina :

The only other thing would be if there were intestinal parasites and she needed to be dewormed... that would be the only thing I would add on.

Dr. Christina :

what concerns me is the character of the diarrhea... the more liquidy it is, the more fluid she is losing, and I suspect it might be followed by loss of appetite and her becoming dehydrated.

Dr. Christina :

If she continues to eat and drink and have good energy, it can likely wait until tomorrow when you go to your vet.

Dr. Christina :

I would try to make sure she doesn't ingest any more... though it does sound like that will be difficult

Customer:

ok. dog is crated. stool sample was negative for parasites 9/14

Dr. Christina :

I would deworm anyway, as fecals are not 100% sensitive... though I agree with your vet that it is likely not the cause.

Dr. Christina :

I would continue with the metronidazole especially, that will help with inflammation in his colon to help slow the diarrhea

Dr. Christina :

**her, my apologies

Customer:

ok.

Dr. Christina :

as long as he is eating and drinking, and staying hydrated, it should be ok to wait until tomorrow. You can have blood work checked at that time...

Customer:

Niki is a future search and rescue dog - if she reaches adulthood!

Dr. Christina :

She will reach adulthood! She's got a good nose... just needs to know what to sniff out. :)

Customer:

ok- will do.

Dr. Christina :

can I answer any other questions for you?

Customer:

that is all- thank you for the reasurance

Dr. Christina :

you are welcome.

Dr. Christina :

I strive for 100% satisfaction and excellent service. If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. A positive rating is always appreciated. If you need more information, just reply and I will be here to provide it.

Dr. Christina :

you have a great day!

Customer:

you have a great day also

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian
How is Niki doing? I hope her diarrhea is improving.

I hope she's on her way to more training. :)

You have a great day,
Dr. Christina

Diarrhea continues. I held off bloodwork pending outcome of broad spectrum dewormer given Monday and was waiting for BM just observed tonight. So I presume blood panel has to be next? BTW she is constantly hungry like not getting enough nutrition so I am concerned about a GI problem. Should GI xray be done also?

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Veterinarian