Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 7 lb Havanese ate a .5 ramipril capsule. Some of the powder

My 7 lb Havanese ate a .5 ramipril capsule. Some of the powder was spilled on the carpet so she did not ingest the entire capsule. I caught her immediately and gave her 1 tsp dose of 3% hydrogen peroxide. I ran her around outside. Approximately 25 minutes later I gave her a second 1 tsp. dose as she had not vomitted. She never did vomit. It is approximately 1 1/2 hours later. What should I do?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Swiffer.

Well, at this length of time, trying to induce vomiting will not be of any benefit.

I am not worried about this being toxic to Swiffer. In fact, it is possible that if any gastrointestinal start later, it would be much more a result of the peroxide that he never vomited up. That is okay, but if he does get sick, he'll still need to get into a vet for some supportive treatment.

Unless the ramipril caused a preciptice drop in blood pressure or heart rate, resulting in difficulty walking, seeming very sedated or lethargic, I am not expecting the amount ingested to cause any problems.

Regardless of the concentration of the capsule (# XXXXX milligrams), with some spilled on the carpet as well, it sounds like the exposure is quite low. i would certainly still keep a close eye on her for a few more hours just to be safe.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if any gastrointestinal start later, it would be much more a result of the peroxide...

What might I expect?

Hi Mary,
Well, no vomiting since it already failed to induce vomiting, but I would expect diarrhea, within the next 24-48 hours.

Possibly, a loss of appetite. Also, maybe really thirsty from some nausea.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?