Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My rabbit is dying from flea bath. Used mycodex sensicare.

My rabbit is dying from...

My rabbit is dying from flea bath. Advice? used mycodex sensicare. Of course a friend of mine swore this was fine for her rabbits. Stupidly I tried it. Now my rabbits are suffering from toxicity. I freaking new better. I have vast experience with animals. Rabbits i am limited on and thought someone was more experienced could be trusted. What can I do?

There breathing is becoming more normal and stable. I have been giving 5 ml of water via their mouths every hour. A little karo syrup is in the water. I left after i bathed them and returned 3 hours later to the above symptoms.

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/2/2013
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear what happened. Good job rinsing her off well, as that is absolutely the best thing you can do. I personally don't feel that pyrethrin-based shampoos are safe for any small animals, as I've seen similar things happen many times with kittens.

If you have baby shampoo or other, insecticide-free shampoo, I'd recommend another bath just to make sure you got any residual chemical off, followed by gentle towel-drying. Beyond that, treatment is supportive until the clinical signs pass. If she was hospitalized, she might receive IV fluids, but there is no specific antidote to this chemical.

Be very careful giving anything by mouth if she is poorly responsive, as it is easy for them to inhale some of the water and get pneumonia in the days following her illness. If they are not seizuring, supplemental sugars (karo) should not be necessary, but karo in the water is harmless. Be sure to offer plenty of Timothy hay in the next few days to encourage good GI motility and prevent impactions following the toxicity.

In the future, Revolution (for cats) is safe to use on rabbits to treat and prevent fleas. Frontline and other flea products are not.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian

Thank you. Our emergency vet offices don't treat rabbits. They will see them, but don't have much knowledge on them. One rabbit is mobile and trying to move around. My other rabbit is 100 percent immobile but her breathing has become more normal as time passes. I am debating giving her water sub-Q (I am very experienced with this), but it would be 5 mls, and I don't know if that would even help. I will NEVER give them a bath after this again, especially with medicated shampoo. How long do you think the clinical signs will last before we are out of the worst of it?

5 mL is not enough to make a difference, and you should never give pure water as a fluid source other than orally (it causes water to rush into cells nearby because they contain salts and ions, rupturing them and causing local tissue damage). I would not recommend this. You may be able to get a bag of LRS or saline from a local vet if you ask, and you could do 20-30 ml 2-3 times a day.

The length of time until the clinical signs subside depends on how much she absorbed, and her individual sensitivity to the chemical, so exact times are hard to predict. In lab studies, half of the drug was eliminated within 24 hours, and the animals were recovering within a day or two. It is a neurotoxic chemical, so some animals did not recover, and some always had a bit of a twitch or a head-tilt. I'd expect the one that is up and moving around to continue to improve over the next couple of days. The one that is completely immobile worries me more. She may have gotten more or may be more sensitive to it. I'd consider trying to get some fluids for her to support her until you see if she is going to recover.

Hi Kiersten,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Glitterbug. How is everything going?

DrTaus
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian